Catholic University’s motto — God Is My Light — is a constant reminder of our origin and mission. We were founded in 1887 as the national university of the Catholic Church, a graduate research institution charged with creating an academic program that would serve the nation and transform the world.
In 2012, the University undertook a strategic planning process that laid out its course for the decade to come and beyond. Among the recommendations were reforms to its governance structure, an investment in both faculty and research, and in tandem with both, an imperative to strengthen the institution’s resources to raise more philanthropic support. This plan was revised and re-endorsed in 2016.
Campaign launched in 2015
One of the outcomes of this thoughtful, campus-wide process is Light the Way: The Campaign for Catholic University, our first-ever comprehensive campaign and the most ambitious campaign in our history. The Campaign spans seven years and commenced on May 1, 2015.
Announced to the public on Thursday, September 26, 2019, this Campaign seeks major new investments across three imperatives of our work:
These efforts will ultimately raise more than $500 million in philanthropic support for The Catholic University of America.
Join us as we move toward a bright new age for Catholic University — one of even greater promise, intellectual excitement, and faithful service. By undertaking the most ambitious campaign in our history, the University will light the way as the leading national Catholic research university.
Over its seven-year duration, Light the Way: The Campaign for Catholic University will harvest new philanthropic investments totaling $400 million. Once completed, the Campaign will also fortify The Catholic University of America with the following impacts:
- Through $55 million in new endowed and current-use scholarships, as many as 3,000 students will have financial support to pursue a Catholic University education.
- The addition of 12 fully endowed professorships in fields as diverse as physics, Church history, engineering, and business will double the number of fully endowed faculty chairs at the University.
- Our academic community will celebrate enhanced laboratory spaces; a renovated home for The Busch School of Business; a new interdisciplinary nursing and sciences building for the Conway School of Nursing; expanded and improved Engineering facilities; and enhanced performing arts facilities.
- An improved recreation center and a contemporary dining hall will dramatically enhance the health and wellness of our community.
- The University’s endowment, its fiscal foundation, will grow by at least 25 percent – with a goal of $60 million in new funds raised by the Campaign’s conclusion.
- The Fund for Catholic University will provide more than $22 million in flexible support for students and programs.
- Student-athletes will compete in enhanced facilities, including a newly renovated DuFour Center, an additional turf field, improved baseball and softball venues, and an expanded stadium.